Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mystery priest at Missouri crash scene steps forward

News excerpt from wbir.com

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KSDK) - The mystery priest who appeared at an accident scene in eastern Missouri last week came forward in the comments section of a story about the incident in the National Catholic Register Friday.

The Diocese of Jefferson City has confirmed his identity as Rev. Patrick Dowling, a priest of the Jefferson City Diocese. He was traveling on Highway 19 between Mass assignments on Aug. 4 in northern and central Missouri.

"I had Mass in Ewing, Mo as the regular priest was sick," Dowling wrote. "As I was returning, I arrived at the scene. The authorities were redirecting traffic. I waited till it was possible to drive up closer.

"...I absolved and anointed Katie and, at her request, prayed that her leg would not be hurt. Then I stepped aside to where some rescue personnel and the pilot were waiting, and prayed the rosary silently. I left when the helicopter was about to take off, and before I got to my car it was on its way to Quincy."

On Aug. 4, Katie Lentz, a student at Tulane University, was driving from her parents' home in Quincy, Ill. to Jefferson City, Mo., when her car collided with another vehicle. Lentz had life-threatening injuries, and was trapped in the vehicle.

She asked someone to pray with her, and says a voice said "I will." She claimed that a silver-haired priest came forward to pray with her, and stayed until Lentz was airlifted away from the scene. Rescue workers and Lentz never learned the priest's identity.

Read More: Rev. Patrick Dowling

No comments:

Post a Comment