Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Saint Michael the Archangel by Stephen B. Whatley

St. Michael the Archangel
By Artist Stephen B. Whatley

St. Michael the Archangel - Painted in 2010 by Artist Stephen B Whatley - Flickr Photo Sharing!

Commentary by Loci B. Lenar

The bright colors in the new painting by Stephen B. Whatley represent the mighty power of God and His authority working through Archangel Michael. The novena to St. Michael is a reminder of God's faithfulness in helping people during times of adversity.

The painting of Archangel Michael and the following information is from Stephen's website:

Saint Michael the Archangel - a new tribute painted by Stephen B Whatley on St Michael's Feast Day (September 29) and completed on the Feast Day of St Francis of Assisi. (October 4).

Saint Michael is seen as the Warrior Angel, fighting off Satan in heaven and protecting God's chosen people on earth from evil and enemies. St Michael occupies a special place in the church, appointed its protector; and his Intercession is encouraged to defeat the evil in the world - and for the protection from danger for anyone in their every day life.

"...as ever I prayed deeply for the strength and insight to express the power of St Michael; and while I looked at a variety of historic interpretations, this painting had its beginnings in my memory of the flickering flame that rose above a candle embossed with the image of St Michael, the evening before as my nervous and creative energy was building in praparation and determination to create this new tribute. Brushstrokes of warm yellows were felt from my heart; from where the defiant but graceful face of St Michael the Archangel would emerge.

I truly felt guided to paint a humble cross within his hand as his 'shield' - which maybe symbolises the power of faith, however big or small."

Singular prayers can be asked of St Michael; or 9 day prayers (Novenas) as below.


Novena Prayer to St Michael

Saint Michael the Archangel, loyal champion of God and His people, I turn to you with confidence and seek your powerful intercession. For the love of God, Who made you so glorious in grace and power, and for the love of the Mother of Jesus, the Queen of the Angels, be pleased to hear my prayer. You know the value of my soul in the eyes of God. May no stain of evil ever disfigure its beauty. Help me to conquer the evil spirit who tempts me. I desire to imitate your loyalty to God and Holy Mother Church and your great love for God and people. And since you are God's messenger for the care of His people, I entrust to you this special request: (Mention your request).

Saint Michael, since you are, by the Will of the Creator, the powerful intercessor of Christians, I have great confidence in your prayers. I earnestly trust that if it is God's holy will my petition will be greated.

Pray for me, Saint Michael, and also for those I love. Protect us in all dangers of body and soul. Help us in our daily needs. Through your powerful intercession, may we live a holy life, die a happy death, and reach heaven where we may praise and love God with you forever.

Amen.

Saint Michael the Archangel.
Oil on canvas, 36 x 24in/ 89 x 61cm
Copyright 2010 Stephen B. Whatley

For more about the artist, please visit the following link: Stephen B. Whatley

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment